#55 Building A Morning Routine that Works for You
Jan 26, 2021
Morning routines are so popular right now. How do you create one that actually works for you?
In this episode you will learn:
- How a morning routine can help to manage stress
- 4 steps to build your best morning routine
- My current top 3 healthy ways to start your day
Be sure to grab your 10 Healthy Ways to Start Your Day PDF <<HERE>>
How a morning routine can help you manage stress
- When you perceive you have more control over any situation you reduce your stress. I’ve always found that a morning routine not only supports my entire day, but also helps to manage my stress, because it gives me a sense of control from the start. I can start my day off with a cup of coffee and journaling. Even if it’s just for 5 min, that can be mine.
- When our days are overwhelming, morning routines can also help to manage stress by checking things off your list - like exercise or healthy eating. The things you would be totally pissed off if you got to the end of the day and they still weren’t done.
- One more way that morning routines can help us to manage stress is to support us in showing up as the best version of ourselves as much as possible. A common stressor is when we show up as someone less than our best - the person who yells at our spouse or our kids, who eats all the cookies, who sends the email in anger instead of taking a beat. When we start the day off in service of our best selves, then it’s more likely that’s who will show up.
4 Steps to Build Your Morning Routine
- Step one is you need to figure out what works for you. And what I mean when I say that is if you follow somebody else, or you're listening to an influencer, and you're hearing what works for them. That is awesome. And that is information. But you really have to figure out what works for you. Because if you try it, and you hate it, and it makes you feel awful, that's probably not something you want to add to your routine. Even if it's supposed to be the healthiest thing ever, the best thing ever. You need to figure out what actually fits into your life. What works for not only you and supports you, but your family and your business. Because at the end of the day, if it works for somebody else, that's great. But if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't matter. There's no point to it.
- Step two is also a simple one is trying things out, and then reflecting. So when you're trying to figure out if something is right for you, you got to try it out. Right, you have to give it a whirl. I've met so many people, I mean, yoga instructor, and I've met so many people who will say to me, Oh, I can't do yoga, because I'm not flexible, or I can't do yoga, for whatever reason, and they've never tried yoga, and they might try yoga and hate yoga, then that's fine. But I really believe you can't know until you try. I also hear people saying the same thing about meditation often, oh, I could never meditate, it takes too much concentration, or I'd be so bored. But they've never given it a try. And so I think one of the most important things we can do when we're building our morning routine, trying to figure out what works for us is to try stuff out, and then reflect. And what do I mean by reflect? and ask yourself some simple questions. So say you try a meditation for the first time, I invite you to ask yourself, Well, what about that worked for me? What didn't? Did it get me closer to the desired outcomes?
- Step number three, is letting go of the things that don't work for you. Now, we change over time, but also sometimes we decide that something's the right thing to do, or the thing we should be doing, and we hold on to it, even if it's not actually working for us. So for a while meditation was working for me. And then it just stopped working. But I kept doing it anyway, because I thought I should. But it wasn't getting me the outcomes that I want it anymore. And so instead of just letting it go and trying to find something else, by going back to step two that I just talked to you about, I just kept pushing through and pushing through and pushing through. And if you've ever tried meditation, pushing through is not the best strategy as with many health and wellness things, right? So I just invite you for step three, to let go the things that don't work for you and be okay with that. when things aren't working, it's okay to let them go. And it gives you more space and time for the things that are working for you.
- And that leads us into number four, being flexible. So finding your perfect morning routine is a continuous exploration of things in your life and what's going on in your life. because things change, things change seasonally, yearly, things that worked in my morning routine before all of this COVID stuff are completely different than things that work for me now. Because I had to change I had to be flexible, I had to adjust. And not only that sometimes like kids happens, life happens. you're on vacation, all these different things happen.
Here are my top 3 healthy ways to start your day:
I go into much more detail in the podcast...
- Set an intention
- Listen to your body
If you’d like to get started right now building a morning routine that works for you, your family, and your business, don’t forget to download your 10 Healthy Ways to Start Your Day PDF <<HERE>>
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team. You'r information will not be shared.