#20 - 3 Steps to Help You Meal Prep
May 26, 2020
Today we are going to get to explore why and how to meal prep. What is meal prepping and how can it help you? And of course this will include action you can take today. That’s right, you can get started transforming your life right now.
In this episode you will learn:
- What is meal prepping?
- Why and how it can be valuable to you.
- A 3 step process to help you start meal prepping
What is meal prepping?
Well, lots of people say that it’s this thing or the other thing. Here’s how I think about it: it’s a way to prepare food that helps you achieve a goal. Maybe you are wanting to eat healthier overall, but find it challenging in the hustle of day to day life to cook and eat healthy. Maybe cooking is getting in the way of you being as productive as you would like. Maybe you hate cooking and want to get it done. Meal prepping is a way to create several meals at once - the idea being that this saves you time and resources. And, in my opinion, sanity.
There are several approaches. And this is a very big/vague overview. You can go to Pinterest and type in “meal prepping” to learn so much more.
- Make a bunch of the same thing for the week - like one chicken dish that you have for dinner every night or one casserole that lasts all week. Basically you eat one thing over and over all week.
- Make several things and divide them into individual containers - one for each meal. This way you just grab a meal and go. Maybe several containers have chicken, kale, and rice - and several containers have meatballs and spaghetti. You have different individual meals, but only 2-3 different ones for the week - so you eat the same thing several times, but you don't have to eat the same thing twice in a day.
- Make food for an entire month or for even 3 months! Yikes! This approach has you both cooking the meal completely and freezing - OR - freezing all the parts of a meal prepared (cut veggies, meat, spices, etc…) so that you just have to cook.
- You can make just dinners, just lunches, just breakfasts - or all of it. I mix and match.
How I Approach Meal Prepping
I spoke about this a little bit last week in Episode #19, in which I spoke about some of my favorite cookbooks. But basically, I think about my week. What would help me? What do I like to eat? I cook on one day for most of the week, usually Sunday for 3 hours. That gets us through Thursday-ish. I cook maybe 2 meals during the week, and then we cook Friday, Saturday, and Sunday regularly. But that’s what works for me. What matters is what works for you.
Why Meal Prepping is a Valuable Tool
- Saves time.
- Saves money.
- More control over your day.
- More productivity because you aren’t interrupted.
- Helps you eat healthy.
- Reduces decision fatigue.
3 Steps to Help You Get Started with Meal-prepping
There is soooo much information out there about meal prepping. I wanted to give you a process to help you get started so that it’s less overwhelming.
- What is your goal? What is the reason you want to do this? What would help you most?
- What would you like to eat most? Not what somebody else thinks you should be doing - but what would you like to do? Do you need variety? Do you prefer the same thing over and over? Do you have 3 favorite dishes you could eat over and over?
- Make a plan. Be realistic. Set goals.
- Goal 1: I will find 3 recipes to make a total of 5 lunches and 5 dinners - one chicken, one veggie, one fish.
- Goal 2: I will make my grocery list.
- Goal 3: I will grocery shop on Monday from 1-2pm
- Goal 4: I will cook on Monday from 2-5pm.
- Goal 5: I will eat my awesome recipes on M-F for lunch and dinner.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team. You'r information will not be shared.